INTRODUCTION TO TRAUMA AND WORKING WITH PEOPLE WHO USE SUBSTANCES
An introduction to the relationship between trauma and problematic drug and/or alcohol use.
This training will introduce the theory of trauma and will enable participants to identify and implement practical strategies to appropriately support service users who may experience trauma.
This training will allow support workers, project workers and other staff to become trauma-informed within their practice.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Recognise the different types and causes of trauma which may be experienced by clients.
- Identify behaviours and coping strategies associated with trauma.
- Describe the relationship between drug/alcohol use and trauma.
- Recall techniques for managing disclosure of trauma.
- Identify how to support clients who may be experiencing trauma.
- Demonstrate trauma-informed practice.
- Identify techniques to recognise and manage issues experienced by supporting staff, eg. vicarious trauma.