PLEASE NOTE THIS COURSE IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN HIGHLAND IN 2016-17.
The aim of this training is to allow health workers, youth workers, drug workers and other professionals to effectively respond to, treat, support and engage with people who use drugs and alcohol. It would be particularly helpful to those who are not specialist drug or alcohol workers, or are new to the substance use field.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Identify the key qualities needed to effectively support people who use substances
- Describe the role of non-verbal communication
- Recognise the core conditions
- Demonstrate application of key skills for supporting people who use substances, including paraphrasing and active listening
- Name the stages of behaviour change
- Identify techniques they can apply when working with people who use substances